What lead paint forms must owners of rental units give to tenants?
All tenants who live in units built before 1978 must be given two copies of this Tenant Lead Law Notification and Tenant Certification Form. If any of the following documents exist for the unit, tenants must also be given a copy of them: lead inspection or risk assessment report. Letter of Compliance or Letter of Interim Control.
When do owners have to give tenants these forms?
New tenants must be given the forms before entering the rental agreement under Massachusetts Law as of September I, 1995.
What is lead poisoning, and how do children become lead poisoned?
Lead poisoning is a disease. Lead can make children, especially those under six years old very sick and can cause learning and behavior problems. Lead is often found in paint on the inside and outside of homes. The main way a child can get lead poisoned is from swallowing lead paint dust and chips. A child can also get lead from other sources such as soil and water, but these rarely cause lead poisoning by themselves. The only way to tell for sure that a child is lead poisoned is to have his or her blood tested. Your doctor, other health care provider, or Board of Health can do this. A lead poisoned child will need medical care. A home with lead paint must be deleaded for a lead poisoned child to get well.
What can you do to prevent lead poisoning?
- Talk to your child's doctor about lead.
- Have your child tested for lead at least once a year until he/she is four years old.
- Ask the owner if your home has been deleaded or call the state Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program (CLPPP) at 1-800-532-9571, or your local Board of Health.
- Tell the owner if you have a new baby, or if a new child under six years old lives with you.
- If your home was deleaded, but has peeling paint, tell and write the owner. If he/she does not respond, call CLPPP or your local Board of Health.
- If your home has not been deleaded, you can do some things to reduce temporarily the chances of your child becoming lead poisoned. You can clean your home regularly to wipe up dust and loose paint chips. Use a cleaner called TSP or an automatic dishwasher detergent high in phosphate, or other cleaners made just for cleaning lead dust and chips. The areas to clean most often are window wells, sills, and floors. Wash your child's hands often (particularly before eating or sleeping) and wash your child's toys. Remember, the only way to permanently lower the risk of your child getting lead poisoned is to have your home deleaded if it contains lead paint.
What does the Lead Law require the owner of your home
An owner of a home built before 1978 must have the home inspected for lead if a child under six years old lives there. If lead hazards are found, it must be deleaded or brought under interim control. A licensed deleader has to do all removal of leaded paint, and all other high-risk work. The owner or someone who works for him who is not a licensed deleader can do certain low-risk deleading and interim control work. After the work is done, the lead inspector or risk assessor issues a Letter of Compliance or Letter of Interim Control. The owner must make sure there is no peeling paint anytime after getting a Letter of Compliance or Letter of Interim Control.
to do if a child under six years old lives there?
What is a Letter of Compliance?
It is a legal letter that says either that there are no lead paint hazards or that the home has been deleaded. The letter is signed and dated by a licensed lead inspector.
What is a Letter of Interim Control?
It is a legal letter that says the work necessary to make the home temporarily safe from lead hazards has been done. The letter is signed and dated by a licensed lead risk assessor. It is good for one year, and can be renewed for one more year. The owner must fully delead the home and get a Letter of Compliance before the end of the second year.